Thursday, July 21, 2011

A Little Radioactivity is Natural - A Lot? Not So Much


Alec Hubble's blog on nuclear power was very interesting and even educational.  I was becoming a nuclear convert until I thought about Japan and their nuclear breakdown.  Yes, I've never heard of France having nuclear issues, but I'm still afraid of the fallout.  I mean, if I run out of gas, will I die of cancer, or evaporate into ashes? No, I will not. 
I'm all for being independent of other nations when it comes to buying oil from countries that want us dead.  I would rather be dependent on something more benign than nuclear power, though, like wind power, or solar power.  Alec brings a valid point to being needlessly afraid of nuclear power due to new safer processes of creating it, however, he did not present the opposing side of his argument in which to create a buy-in of his audience. 
I did enjoy the factual statistics that made him more of an authority on the subject, but there were no links in which to research for myself the statistics he was spouting.  I would like to have more information on these so-called safest pebbles.  Are they rocks?  Are they man-made materials?  My curiosity was peaked and I did question my view of nuclear power, but I just felt there wasn't enough information. 
The flow of the blog was very organized and easy to read.  I really liked the picture and the first sentence that grabbed my attention.  I appreciate that Alec chose a subject that is becoming more and more of a hot topic due to the ever increasing gas prices and the push for alternative energy.  All in all, a nice blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment